The Best Fw-190 Variant...?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The best two fighters of the war:

fw-190_0024.jpg

The firts Fw-190 to be "delivered".

http://www.aeronautics.ru/archive/w..._2001_2002/web_gallery/images/fw-190_0093.jpg

23rd of June, 1942, Oberleutnant Armin Faber, Gruppenadjutant of III/JG 2 mistook the Bristol Channel for the English Channel and landed at an RAF Base in Pembrey, Wales. There is suspicius about the real causes that make this FW-190A-3 landed in Britain, but the fact is that Faber shoot down one of the Spitfires Mk-V that was send to intercept him in that late afternoon, eventualy he make a roll over the airfield in sign of victory.

The A-3 in his original markings.

profile_fw190_02.gif

It was a lucky strike for the RAF, because the worry about the new german desing was enormous....even the SAS had a plan for stole one called "Airthief".

CharlesBronson said:
The firts Fw-190 to be "delivered".

http://www.aeronautics.ru/archive/w..._2001_2002/web_gallery/images/fw-190_0093.jpg

23rd of June, 1942, Oberleutnant Armin Faber, Gruppenadjutant of III/JG 2 mistook the Bristol Channel for the English Channel and landed at an RAF Base in Pembrey, Wales. There is suspicius about the real causes that make this FW-190A-3 landed in Britain, but the fact is that Faber shoot down one of the Spitfires Mk-V that was send to intercept him in that late afternoon, eventualy he make a roll over the airfield in sign of victory.

The A-3 in his original markings.

profile_fw190_02.gif

It was a lucky strike for the RAF, because the worry about the new german desing was enormous....even the SAS had a plan for stole one called "Airthief".

even if he did think it was the english channel surely he should've gone back to an airfield in the south west of england, as this would appear to be france, if he thought the bristol channel was the english channel then landing in wales would appear to be landing in england!

According to "Fighters of World War II", edited by Donald Pleasance, the fastest of all the A-series was the FW-190 A-6/R4, with turbocharged BMW 801 TS, which gave it a top speed of 428mph (683 Km/h).

Was this engine used on subsequent versions? It would seem to be a winner. If not, why wasn't it?

From my uninformed point of view, it would seem that the Antons reached their zenith with this model. But I don't know what the specific role of this variant was.

What do you experts think?

Not that I am an expert, but I will check out my books when I get home from the field. More than likely though someone else will check this out and get you answer before I can in 2 weeks.

No production 190 ever used a turbocharger. This 'T' for turbocharger is another of the those WW2 myths.

The only 190s to have a tc were the ones nicknamed Kanguruh. These were iV12 powered.

GM-1 (/R4) was not used on the 190s; the Ta152H-1 was the only Tank fighter that did use GM-1.

This board is a wealth of info on the 190,
http://www.acompletewasteofspace.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=8

Thanks guys,

Still, is the top speed correct? Or didn't the A-6/R4 exist? Is the R4 exclusively synonymous with GM-1 boosting?

I thought the RuestSaetze kits included many things, but I'm probably wrong.

Surely, something must've clocked that speed.

Yes, that CWOS forum is very good.

In performance the D was great at low and mid altitude but had the same handicap the A models had at high altitude. The power loss with altitude was not as bad as the Antons but not far off.

In my opinion the whole inline engine experiment was a bad road they went on, because sometime in 1943 they had to stop development of piston engines that were not in production.

With this move they lost two aero engines that had the potential to change something when it mattered the most.
Right after introduction of BMW 801D in production and getting it installed in the FW-1`90 the BMW team started working on a replacement.
It was called BMW-802. was similar with the 801 but had 18 cylinders instead of 14. Two rows of 9 instead two rows of 7.
there are some pictures of this engine around:
bmw802-2.jpg

And some specs:

18-cylinder supercharged two-row radial engine
Bore: 156 mm (6.14 in)
Stroke: 156 mm (6.14 in)
Displacement: 53.7 L (3,280 in³)
Dry weight:
Components
Valvetrain: One intake and one sodium-cooled exhaust valve per cylinder
Supercharger: Gear-driven single-stage three-speed
Fuel system: Fuel injection
Performance
Power output:

1,912 kW (2,563 hp) for takeoff
1,176 kW (1,575 hp) at 12,000 m (39,000 ft)

Since the FW-190 with BMW-801 was so successful in early stages the work on the 802 went really slow, and was 1943 by the time they had the engine in testing.
The 802 was impressive in what it offered. It was rated at 2600HP for take off and was said it could easily reach 3000hp during it's life.
The most impressive thing about this engine was the high altitude performance obtained from a gear-driven supercharger. The engine could reach 1600HP at 12000m. This is a lot of power over the old 801 with only about 30% increase in weight.

This engine IF :lol: They kept working at it like they did with the 801 could have been put in mass production in 1943.
Now if you install this thing in the ,let's say, FW-190 A6 airframe. Extend the wings a little to bring back the wing loading to A2-4 standards, You have on your hands an aircraft that could have done it all for the LW. Low altitude fighter, Jabo, Mid alt bomber intercept and High altitude fighter and all in between. Could have been right there with the very best of them at any altitude.
The FW-190 airframe was well built from the start and could have worked with that engine with only minor changes.
This thing could have retired the Bf-109, and that would have allowed them to produce, maintain and upgrade, a single piston engine fighter aircraft all over the map.

I'm sure they could have produced a lot of them if they concentrated all resources wasted in making and upgrading the fw-190 A, FW-190D, Ta-152, Bf-109G14/14 AS, G10, K4, and all those old engines they were trying desperately to get more juice out of: BMW, Jumo, DB-601, DB-603.

Jaws that is lot of good info on the bmw 802 it is very hard to find good info on it.Do you no how many they made.I no they made over 250 of jumbo 222 and it steal would not work.

Some aditional pics of the High altitude fighter Fw-190A-3/U7. This variant was an atemp to increase the Fw-190A performance well over the 7000 meters . (when the supercharger became a litle clumsy)

u7sy3.jpg

This aircraft had his outer wings MG-FF cannons deleted to save weight. The nose Mg-17s were deleted also and faired over.

u711vx0.jpg

The most obvious characteristic was the double venturi tipe air intakes, wich used the ram effect form the airscrew to improve the breathing of the BMW 801 engine.

3yt1.jpg

About 3 or 4 of this variant were manufactured and used by the JG-26 in ealy 1943. It seems that there was also some A-4/u7 and A-5 /U7 but I am not have info about it.

All pictures extracted from: "Höhere jäger und Kampfflugzeuge" waffen arsenal.

In the Osprey boobk "FW-190 aces of the western front" there was an A-5 with this U7 tubes modifications, but I am not sure if that is correct.

2d0cb6f.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back