Upcoming....GB 62 - Spitfires

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I like "not applied"

These were overpainted I'm afraid. A close up view to the enlarged screenshots reveals the smudges at the SH" code area and sometimes noticed the serial number partially. Just my opinion.

SH___.jpg

SH_.jpg

SH__.jpg

It is interesting because the Spit with the MT-U code has the number seen clearly.

MT-U.jpg

Okay, I need help from our personal brain trust.
F/L A.H.Davidson, 601 Sqn. 1945, Mk.IX Spitfires.
I have him flying known serial and code # A/C.
MJ909-UF@M
PT641-UF@F
PT761-UF@G
PT935-UF@A
Color of these aircraft in 1945, I have conflicting
info and photos. Depicted as Earth/Green and Silver.
Hoping someone can clear this up for this old man.
Both gleaned from the web.
comparison camo.jpg

All pics of the 601 Squadron Spits I have found show them in 1944. It can be noticed that the camo was the standard RAF day fighter one rather that consisted of the Dark Green/Ocean Grey/Medium Sea Grey. Also it can be found that the spinners were of the red and no Sky band on the rear fuselage area. However in the image with the UF-G and UF-Q the remnants of the band on the UF-G fuselage can be noticed. The UF-Q Spitfire is of the NMF so it may mean that there could be other planes of the finish type in the squadron.

Mk XI Spitfire 601 sqn_UF-J.jpg

Mk XI Spitfire 601 sqn_UG-G_UF-Q.jpg

the pic source: Supermarine Spitfire MkIX, MJ532/ UF-G, 601 Squadron RAF

However looking at the image and judging by the colour of the code letters the Desert camo type could be possible.

Mk XI Spitfire 601 sqn_UF-R.jpg

As you probably noticed, sometimes NMF Spitfires of 601 Sqn during 1945 are depicted with black code letter and sometimes with red code letters...
Maybe a link interesting for your project A. H. Davidson Spitfires
View attachment 777231
Clipped wings ?
View attachment 777232
Yes I d o have that A.H.D. list and types by the serials. I am in a quandary over which was BM.
All pics of the 601 Squadron Spits I have found show them in 1944. It can be noticed that the camo was the standard RAF day fighter one rather that consisted of the Dark Green/Ocean Grey/Medium Sea Grey. Also it can be found that the spinners were of the red and no Sky band on the rear fuselage area. However in the image with the UF-G and UF-Q the remnants of the band on the UF-G fuselage can be noticed. The UF-Q Spitfire is of the NMF so it may mean that there could be other planes of the finish type in the squadron.

View attachment 777238
View attachment 777240
the pic source: Supermarine Spitfire MkIX, MJ532/ UF-G, 601 Squadron RAF

However looking at the image and judging by the colour of the code letters the Desert camo type could be possible.

View attachment 777239
And therein lies the quandary, A.H.D. did not pilot the Q Mk.IX. i guss I may be a little pedantic, but!? So we'll see what we can find. Thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back