Würger family 1/48

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello again my fellow modelers:

Here's an update of the work performed so far during this week.

First I attempted using some acrylic softliners in order to enhance the basic mottled camouflage. The idea was to apply the green hues under the RLM 76 camo with this pen:
001fa .jpeg

At first the idea look sound, but I forgot to seal with lacquer this basic paint work in order to continue applying the 76 in order to use the different shades of green.....
002fa .jpeg

Meanwhile this paint was drying, I began applying the masking works for the RLM 83 in specific areas:
003 RLM 81 masking 02.jpeg

And this is how it looked like after the 83 applied after removing the liquid and solid masking:
005 RLM 81 applied 01.jpeg

006 RLM 81 applied 02.jpeg

Here is where the painting works went horribly wrong. It was when the 76 was being applied with the airbrush, but the acrylic thinner literally and the air pressure diluted or melted the mottling works, leaving a greenish soup as can be appreciated in the following images:
007 first finished D-11 01.jpeg

008 first finished D-11 02.jpeg

Well after this mishap, I decided to continue to remove this camo intent and begin again.
This time with another experiment. Now the decals were going to be applied between fuselage paint works.

After cleaning the fuselage sides, then the same decals were applied to the fuselage in several surfaces, now just in several surfaces:
2nd decals 01.jpeg

Also some colour was applied as base, just in case..........
2nd decals 02.jpeg

And this is how it looks after the second hand of RLM, ready to continue with the mottling works that now I know that are going to be applied with the airbrush:
ready 01.jpeg

Now it was time to continue with the A-4 with the RLM 76. It was also decided to use a a weathering color (pale blue) in order to preshade the belly of the kite:
stain 01.jpeg

stain 02.jpeg

And then the RLM 76 base colour after removing the liquid masking of the surfaces with aluminium:
stain 05.jpeg

stain 08.jpeg

Now ready to receive the RLM 79 in the upper surfaces.

This is how both kites looks after this weekend advance so far:
D-11 ready 01.jpeg

finished 01.jpeg

finished 02.jpeg
finished 04.jpeg

Hope you was and incredible weekend my friends and please stay safe. :salute:

Gerry

Hello again my fellow modelers:

Here's the week update that due to the work in the end of the year, the advance hasn't been as good as I would have wish. As you can imagine, hectic is the correct word.

Well, based in the experience gained in the D-11 kite, I decided to give it a try with the decals on the 152 kite. The learning curve dictates the following:
- Apply decals preferably only one panel at a time.
- The decals are preferably applied with the base color applied in order that once the decals are dry and treated properly, the final paint works are good to be applied.
- Scale and print the decals .02% of the original size in order to avoid applying one decal above another. This will not do by any means.

This is what I did during the last week. I decided I wanted to emulate the Gelbe 1 flown by Reshcke on April 1945.
Ta152H Gelbe eine 7 JG 301 02.jpg

In order to emulate this camo, also the lower fuselage is desired to be applied as the following image where several panels remained in aluminium:
Ta a01.jpeg

Then in order to apply the aluminium panels, first this panels were applied the Alclad II and then received the riveting works. It is also important to note that beside the Alclad II, some surfaces will also receive real aluminium foil in order to gain some contrast with the metal surfaces. This foil will be applied once the paint work on the belly are over.

First the wing section received the magnets in order to present them on the display base on the final works. These neodymium magnets were strongly glued to the interior before closing the 152 fuselage.
Ta 152 01.jpeg

Another task that was performed before closing the fuselage, was the location works of the engine exhausts that were protected with some liquid masking:
Ta 152 02.jpeg

Once the fuselage was closed and positioned, then in order to receive the landing covers in a closed position, some plastic putty was applied in order to position one piece at a time:
Ta 152 03.jpeg

Also the engine upper cowling was detailed and primed in order to continue with the decal applying works.
Ta 152 04.jpeg

This is how the kite looked after applying the riveting on the metal surfaces. The decals are to be applied only where the RLM 76 panels are found:
Ta 152 05.jpeg

Here the metallic panels were masked in order to apply the RLM 76, which I found a hue that is well greyish (despite maintaining the blue color) that I really liked a lot:
Ta 152 06.jpeg

Here´s how the kite looked with the RLM 76 applied so far with the newly print decals (after performing several corrections to the scale):
Ta 152 07.jpeg

This is how the kite looks so far after applying the decals almost on the entire surface where these decals will receive a fine gloss coat in order to protect them and then proceed to remove the masking along with the aluminium foil applying works, as well as to apply the final layer of the RLM 76 paint and the weathering works:
Ta 152 08.jpeg

This is the advance so far and guess that this week the upper fuselage decals will be applied if the seasons parties allow me to continue......... :grimacing:

Have a great one everyone and hope you all begin the festivities safely.:pilotsalute:

Gerry

Hello and Happy Holidays to all my fellow modelers.

After having some great party time during this season, it was kind of difficult to letting me continue with this project but some progress was performed.....

Well, first things first. In order to proceed with the upper fuselage camouflage, the belly of the 152 kite had to be finished at some degree. First, the decals applied in this surfaces were toned down with the same base RLM colour. Then the masking was removed in order to apply several types of aluminium colour in several surfaces in order to obtain several tones of aluminium as happens in all planes due that several batches of this material with different processes involved. At least this is my understanding and I wanted to emulate this pondering.

So far, no weathering has been applied and as I'm aware of the fact that these kites were almost brand new when the hostilities ended, so they must look at their best....

belly 06.jpeg

After feeling that the belly was completed enough, then it was time for the upper surfaces. I can't talk enough about the tak material that has helped me in order to continue with the camouflage masking procedure. Its quite easy to work with (applying it), and it saves a LOT of the masking time.....
tak 01.jpeg

Also the tak receives the common bond paper in order to mask fast enough and continue with the paint works......
masking 02.jpeg

As commented before, some decals were printed in high quality in order to continue with the experiment of the rivets over the kite surfaces. One of the main properties of printing with common decal transfers is that you can print in a desired color if needed on any surface.

So far, so good.....
decals 04.jpeg

I´d like to present y'all my little santa helper that has been working with me along this project......

And here is the one and only Lolo 🤪 :
santa helper 05.jpeg

Ok, then it was time to continue with the base fuselage camo:
camo 03.jpeg

And after finishing the base upper camo pattern, it was time to apply the decals:
decals 07.jpeg

Hope that in these images you can appreciate the differences between the before and after decals location works that are in the process of being located:
decals 08.jpeg

The next step is to finish the upper decals location works in order to tone them down with the same camo in several areas and to proceed with the exhaust stains. Also I have to deeply clean the airbrush cause I've been wrestling a lot with it....

Continuing to develop the learning curve of this experiment!

Hope you close the year with all your favourite people and begin 2024 with health and time my friends!

Greetings from Monterrey :pilotsalute:

Gerry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back