Most Beautiful Aircraft of WW2?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

In fairness to Darren a plane doesn't have to be airborne to make an impression, in the air the Hellcat is much like many others but the pics of them ready for take off made a real impression on me, to be in the middle of that must have been an experience.
View attachment 490581

That photo is undeniably one of my favorites! Just a few days ago I had the distinct honor and pleasure of having lunch with a former Hellcat pilot who during the war was assigned to VF-81. He was present during the first attacks on Tokyo since the Doolittle raids of 1942. I was awestruck by what he told me. He still recalls all those intense launches from the deck of the USS Wasp like they just happened yesterday. Never boisterous or cocky, he's a true gentleman who feels that he was just doing his "job". Being married 65 years, he says that his greatest achievement in life is the family he and his wife began all those years ago and even at 95 he's still very active in the community. God bless him.

His name is Ray Owen by the way....

I'd pick the Hellcat as most beautiful but I want to keep my impartial reputation intact here! :p

I have always thought of the early mark Spitfires and the P-51D Mustang as being the most aesthetically appealing aircraft of all time. They both just look right to me and with them it wasn't all eye appeal, they delivered exactly what one would expect from them!

I know what I said about my reputation but after seeing this today I humbly change my vote to the Hellcat! ;)

s-l1600[1].jpg

Last edited:
I present the Polikarpov I-153 and I-16.
78e1cbe53fd898a70c3f92fe6f67bae9.jpg

c0f7dc07ea2f7fdd2ffe680ddecc2618.jpg
I've always had a liking for these two fighters, don't know why. That whole period in the early months of the war and the short period beforehand brought up some interesting designs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back