can anyone identify this round?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Something tells me, it's this that he's found...

10463_zpsjlnqtl06.jpg

It is round...

Oh yes.. I remenber the rounds. But I've thought it could be a little bit older. Here you are. These rounds are round too.

kapiszony.jpg

Unfortunately as Einstein observed: "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
and unfortunately at times dumb is fatal.
I carried the 9mm Uzi for 3yrs. Never thought it had much of a kick nor rise but then I was not a 9yo girl. This is a VERY sad thing for ALL parties involved and especially the girl who will live with this her whole life.

I worked on open bolt subguns a few years ago and I very quickly grew to hate them. Usually I'll make any excuse to fire a weapon and call it a function check, but not one of those damn things.
I don't have direct experience of the Uzi - I know that it's got a lot of fans, it has performed a vital role and is a good design, but I am kind of prejudiced against the whole breed.

I can't think of any weapon less suitable for a slightly built nine year old girl to fire than an open bolt subgun. What a tragic and avoidable incident.

A German firearms company made an STG-44 replica a few years back. They offered it as a semi-auto and a single shot with no gas system. It was really, really expensive. Fired the original 7.92 Kurz round, which is still being made apparently.

I have a poor copy of the original blueprints for the STG-44, urban legend says that Kalashnikov based the AK on it. There is no similarity between them really, except the use of a medium powered cartridge and stamped steel construction. The AK uses a rotary bolt and the STG-44 has a tilting bolt which is more like a Bren or an FN FAL in concept. The magazines are both curved, but that is dictated by the shape of the round.

Fatty Goerings Luftwaffe paratrooper vanity LMG, the FG42 is technically much more interesting. Fired from a closed bolt in semiauto and an open bolt in full auto.
Nice design.

Natural selection deems that some individuals
serve as a warning to others. Who are we to disagree?
The next generation, ever and anon, is descended from the survivors

From the video of the little girl with the UZI, she seems to be holding it with one hand. Definitely not recommended for children. What was the instructor thinking when he gave it to her with the safety off?

I just looked the video on YOU TUBE which shows my bad. She did have both hands on the weapon. Whether semi-auto or full auto, it was still too much gun for any 9 year old. Children under 12 should never be permitted to use any thing larger than a 22.

Last edited:
Did I miss something? Is there a video that I'm not seeing? I'm trying to stay with the convo but .......
A comment earlier about a gun range in Arizona. That's where the 9 year old girl lost control of a FA Uzi while firing it and sprayed her instructor, killing him.

Article/info (with incident video) here: Girl, 9, Accidentally Kills Instructor While Firing an Uzi - ABC News

It looked to me, that her finger was covering the trigger while the instructor was switching from Single to FA and she accidently fired it before she or the instructor was ready.

Last edited:
Natural selection deems that some individuals serve as a warning to others. Who are we to disagree?

Abso-fricken-lutely. I have to ask, what was a nine-year-old girl doing with an Uzi in the first place? Although I find America's obsession with gun culture slightly disturbing (and this is living in a rural setting where almost everyone has firearms), I don't necessarily dispute it since that's your choice as a people, but even still, giving a nine-year-old an Uzi is not good sense in any environment.

It's got less to do with a gun culture, and more to do with people or the parents using poor judgement who should never allowed their child to be given an Uzi to fire. I am sure the instructor was doing this with the parents permission. It also has got a lot to do with a careless instructor who did not treat the fire arm as if it were loaded, which would have been extremely important in this case since the gun was in fact loaded. Looks like he neglected the safety, or to make sure the safety was on, and also the weapon did not need to have a round in the chamber. Giving the gun to the child without a round in the chamber would have prevented this too. Several bad decisions led to this incident, and the scarring of a little girl for life.

The instructor knew full well that the weapon was loaded and the safety had nothing whatever to do with it: "Hold this in or the gun won't fire". He has her fire ONE shot on semi then switches to full auto. I do think she pulled the trigger before he was ready which comes back to poor instruction on his part. When I am working with a non-shooter they hear a million times :MUZZLE Awareness and finger OFF the trigger before they fire a single round. I have an MP5 and have had girls shoot it (NONE that young) but we shoot several single shots until they're comfortable with the recoil, then they shoot 2 round quick trigger pulls then three quick pulls so they feel something of the rise. After EVERY shot "Finger Off the Trigger" Also I'm at their 5 O'clock. I don't think this was a lesson of any kind for her in how to shoot a gun just a "gee whiz golly I shot a real gun" moment that went terribly wrong. "Gee Whiz Sweetie how would you like to sit on a real HORSE...real CAR...real AIRPLANE...ect" long before there is any cognizance of the possible outcomes. Intelligence and stupidity live side-by-side without ever interacting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back