Doras Galoras - Unofficial GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

FINALLY, the D-15 progresses - I have repaired the self-inflicted damage when I tried to engrave the LAST of the panel lines slightly deeper over was was almost solid filler (causing the surface to crack and chip away), the Radiator Fairing is done (i think), the re-shaped exhaust stacks are in and the engine block rear has been tacked in place... Woohoo!!! We're getting close to joining the thing to a fuselage! :)

Dan

Nothing much to see yet - especially as everything is BLACK (which doesn't photo that well, but damn its cruel with regards to surface finish!). The Melted Fuselage needs finishing up now! Not quite sure how I'll tackle that and the damage to the gear bays; or whether I should just crack open another Dragon D-9!

D

OK

Its the what colour is the camo question time ...

Eduard says the scheme is 81 and 82

Vallejo say 81 is close to olive drab, which seems an okish guess from a quick google , and 82 is a brighter green, which also seems plausible

However Eduards pretty picture makes 81 look more like 76 than anything else .... Is this a misprint on the colour scheme by the czech mates who brought us everlasting sanding practice, or is the "look " right and the number wrong
I rather like the look eduard suggest but cant see much other evidence of it

new200910_08.jpg

13.jpg

Only known photo of this rig is of the rear fuselage from the chevrons back. Crandall speculates an 82/83 scheme but I'll let others add bigger logs to the fire.....

Whoever did the large profile you posted above seems to have taken pains to match the photo details very closely so I personally wouldn't argue with it.

Well, youve picked 1) a rather nice looking subject there, but 2) a not very well known example; and as always Japo and EE agree on some stuff and diverge on others, regarding the D-13. However, given Crandall's involvement with Yellow 10 over the years, one must give his overview a decent amount of credence. But at the same time, EE seems to suggest that 836017 wore a base camo of RLM82/76, it also seems to state that 836016 wore RLM82/83 (EE volII, pg.285)

First, what is agreed on - RLM76 lower and RLM82 on the fuselage.

Second what is disagreed on:
EE - RLM82/83 upper fuselage colours (and presumably wing), RLM75 wing lower leading edge.
Japo - RLM81/82 upper fuselage colours, RLM76/81 wing camo and RLM81 wing lower leading edge. The updated Japo profile does appear to be hedging bets between RLM75 and 81 however:
new200910_08.jpg

Third, my gut:
Crandall makes numerous claims that the paint found on 836017 was mostly RLM76 (lower) and RLM75 (upper), so I feel it unlilkely that the next a/c in the production sequence would be finished so radically differently (of course to be fair and balanced, if the fuselage sub-assemblies were completed - and pre-painted - by different factories, that may explain this). BUT by that stage of the war, the combinations of 81/82, 82/83, 81/83, 75/82, 75/83 and pretty much any other combination you want to pick, are valid! To add further confusion, the different mixes of RLM81 (that are known) range from a Dark-Green to a Olive-Brown-Violet, so the Crandall interpretation of RLM82/83 may well be an aircraft in 81/82, where the 81 is the very green shade of the colour.

The conclusion is that as long as you follow the 'known patterns' on the a/c and retain the tonal difference that we see in the images, its hard to go wrong.

If I was going to paint this a/c, I'd likely be trying to decide between RLM81/82 and RLM82/83 uppers also (the general consensus seems to be 82/83 was an intermediate scheme and 81/82 was the late war scheme - however there is also an argument that RLM81/82 was the 'winter scheme' and RLM82/83 was the 'summer scheme'). You could also take the approach I ended up with on a D-11 (which happened by accident in fact) was that I ended up with a 'Dark Green' mix that is not quite RLM83, but is not far off the early 'green' RLM81 variants, allowing me to argue either! Sneaky, I know! ;)

Hahahaha, I don't think I have helped at all, have I?

Dan

OK, because Wayne is hassling me, this is the D-15 nose, with the 605LA Intake Blue-Tak'd on the side for shits and giggles:

D15_010_Front.jpg

Front view, shoiwng the correct position of the intake, but not exhaust deflector blade (yet)

D15_011_Front.jpg

A front 3/4 showing the re-engraved Radiator flaps. For some reason this pic makes the engine cowl hinge line look NIGHTMARE-ish; all that is is just crap in the panel line, reflecting the flash... I think!

D15_013_Top.jpg

Top, showing the newly sculpted deck cover, faired over gun troughs, all neatly faired in together ito what is basically a Ta 152C Treibwerk, without the Gun Troughs. The rear most top panel looks terrible again, butthe grey you see is the remnants of filler (because someone got carried away and cut the panels too deeply into softer putty, which chicpped and WRECKED things - so the line had to be filled and re-formed)...

D15_014_LH_Engine.jpg

And rear, showing the Engine Plug (no lower engine mounts yet, nor fuel lines, etc) and the re-formed Exhaust Stacks - this view, despite the crap focus, give away how various sections of the cowl were formed; from the SOLID upper deck lid (sloid plastic and Green Putty), to the cross-section 'adapter' at the rear, to the 'flat pieces, glued and sanded to shape' that was used to forma parts of the lower side...

Will mate to fuselage soon - when I decide if I am perservering or just cutting up another Kit :)

Dan

Thanks Dan

I suppose 75/82 looks the closest to whatever eduards artist dreamed up, and as its an unusual scheme that will add a bit of variety with the build i may well run with that, using Andys logic, and its not like anyone can prove me wrong !

My '76 seems to be a bit more blue than some so i may try and knock it back a bit towards grey ..

Ho Hum this could be fun lol

did a bit of sanding and masking on the canopy this evening

not looking too bad considering the wrestle I have had fit wise

will rub over with something finer and check and clean up a bit tomorrow ready to think about some colouring in over the weekend

20130411_224103.jpg

@tigerdriver - woah! You are having a right battle!

@Evan, the D-11 showed up today, so I'll have a bit of a fiddle tomorrow. I seems that resin firewall (which looks AWESOME BTW) or the removal of plastic under the deck lid, has done something to the shape (despite the fact the cuts look to be in EXACTLY the same place as my basis kit. I know my 'current' basis kit (also a D-11 actually - as initially i was retaining the outboard guns, as per the earlier D-15 specs) is cut directly down the panel lines and a I took a lot of time to make sure things remained square, so I must admit, I was surprised when I offered up the D-15 nose to your D-11 and the fit was NOTHING like what it is on mine?!?!? I guess part of the problem is those Banana Fuselage sides! ;)

Regardless, with the bits youve kindly donated, I should be able to sort of the damaged parts and still get ONE Model out of THREE, hahahaha :) Thanks again Evan...

Now I just need a Late Canopy :)

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back