History according to random people...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well we shouldn't use WT as a source of reliable data, but when simulated engagements were flown between MiG-17s and various USAF and USN types in the late '60s the message was clear: only engage the MiG on your terms. In slow-speed manoeuvring dog fights the MiG always won out. Advice was to use speed in order to pull out of range and only re-engage if the odds were in your favour. It therefore doesn't take too much of an extrapolation to assume that the same would be true of an F-14.
Same thing with that "hot dog" in CFS3 nearly 15 years ago.
He tried to lure me into a slow turning fight with his MiG-15 and I used that against him with the Me262's better high speed turning radius.

One of the advantages one can have in either arcade games or Combat simulators, is actually knowing historical profiles of each type.

And I might add, historical profiles from peer-reviewed books - not a youtube video...

I have never played any of those games but there was a link a few years back on this forum to one WT thread that had on British manuals that was interesting and a couple of people here posted some of his? manuals. JimSam or some such name. I would guess that they may have similar threads on other nations aircraft but that is only a supposition.

There are countless social media sites where misinformation abounds (facebook, reddit, quora, youtube, etc.) but it seems many of the game sites have their share of nonsense.

For some strange reason, war Thunder seems to attract the majority, like moths to a porchlight.

Had someone tell me not even 10 minutes ago, "F-4 phantom is the best gun fighter there ever was, it had the most gun kill in world war 2. How else do you think we won." I asked them if they were serious and they said yes

Considering the shortest war continued 38 minutes, a short nap is enough.

maybe, i love that variant of the f4u though :lol::lol:
I must admit when I first started reading these pages I got confused. As a Brit, an F4 was a Phantom thats what I grew up looking at, thn I started reading about F4-Fs and F4-Us which are strange names for a Wildcat and Corsair.

I got razzed for the same mistake but I'm senile.
Using numbers instead of names should be more precise until your code system gives three famous marques the same code of "F4". With only 26 letters and 10 numbers it was bound to happen, I suppose.

With the US joint forces unitized system, the older Navy designations ceased.

So pretty much any Navy aircraft before Vietnam, will have the older system in place.

Grumman had the manufacturer designation "F" (since Goodyear already had the "G"), so F4F stood for "Fighter, 4th type, Grumman".

Vought held the designation "U" and their Corsair was the 4th type accepted by the USN, so it became "F4U".

By the way, Grumman's Hellcat was the 6th type accepted by the USN. The 5th was the twin-engine Skyrocket (XF5F) that was accepted, trialled but not produced.

The Japanese Navy had a similar system, where the first letter denoted aircraft mission (Fighter, attack, recon, etc.), the numeral denoted the order of aircraft under the type designated and the following letter denoted the manufacturer.

Example: G4M means "Land-based bomber, 4th type accepted, Mitsubishi"

I thought this belonged here.

Someone talking about the moon landing
Thinking that thing made it through Temperatures as Hot as 35k degrees twice when the materials its made of melts at 5k is hilarious. But kids believe in Santa so adults gotta believe in something. 😒

35000 degrees is quite a claim I would say.

I thought this belonged here.

Someone talking about the moon landing

35000 degrees is quite a claim I would say.
Obviously a scientist of note "Temperatures as Hot as 35k degrees" Degrees of what, C or F? Or since he uses "35k" does he mean Kelvin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back