Show Us Your Artwork!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yesterday's and this mornings progress.
Small changes in various areas, getting the details right 'as per the photo' before adapting it to look right 'as a picture'.

STA53492.JPG

STA53493.JPG

Thanks Wayne! ..and Jan, anything you want mate! Did enjoy drawing the NOHAB, trains are so full of details!

The basic sketch done as per the photo, now to fine tune it and play with the shadows and background...
(Excuse the poor pic, late afternoon light. Will take a better one tomorrow morning)

STA53500.JPG

Last edited:
oh Evan evan evan ................. just kidding friend but now that you have hard edges on your left fender/light/tire apply the rest softly and let it fade out ....... to the side, some landscape on the right side of the pic but SOFT let the car do it's thing by being the showpiece that it is ...... maybe just one small bush or something to the right side or in this case as you loook at the car on the left but not close to the vehicle.

in any case be behind your artwork totally fielding in art is tough and competitive you have to sell it, and much is being almost part of your mediums literally. am not sure how you will showcase your work and get it out there to the public but explore the numerous possibilities, remember you are the new kid on the block - and unknown................ you have the talent so even when things look bleak remain positive.

Thanks Hugh!

Better pic, taken in this morning's (overcast) light (-the heat wave has finally broken thank God!)

STA53509.JPG

Cheers Terry! I have a passion for details (hence my inability to finish model aircraft :( )

Playing with various details, the stage I call 'the danger zone'. Too easy to go overboard and ruin it.

Evan

have you played around in the past with completing the background first and then finishing up with the central piece ? it takes a bit of getting use to but makes for sometimes a very interesting completed work .........

thats looking better and better,the door handles on the real things are art-deco with lines running down the handles,i at work again over the weekend and have some new ones in stock so i will take a couple of pics[i'm still trying to go through my pics for the ones of the badges],remind me if i don't do it soon and if you want any other classics to draw

Thanks Wayne, Erich, Bob and Matt!

Erich, only once (a painting). Due to the nature of the background it was easier to paint it that way. Never tried it in a sketch though yet...

Bob, that would be brilliant mate, thanks!

Today's progress and news:

Played with the background shading on the Lanchester, and although 'just like the photo' as Ivett said, the gloss finish effect was lost (her favourite part of the sketch).
Rubbed out the shading, and asked her opinion again - the effect was back. So trading off a little realism for 'hit effect'.
Various small details being reworked, pic up when done.

Sent photos of some of work to my dad too. He showed them to a small local gallery, and they're interested! Small place, but a start :D

That in mind, how would you guys recommend sending paintings and sketches by post? I'm guessing well wrapped and reinforced, and by courier post not standard?

Cheers in advance,
Evan

Last edited:
:thumbleft: now THAT is looking fab.
Sketches - only one way to go, rolled up in a strong cardboard tube with a "do not bend, I will track you down and kill you" sticker. Unless you're sending them framed?

Thanks Matt!

Would you protect it with a tissue type paper layer before rolling? I spray my sketches with 3-5 thin coats of hairspray to protect against smudging, but want to be extra certain.

When giving a sketch in person I always place it flat between two larger pieces of thick cardboard (usually cut from old supermarket boxes) with a tissue sheet protecting the drawing itself and held together with 2 rubber bands. Strong and stable. Posting them is a new kettle of fish for me however...

Part of the gallery (in Ireland) is set in restored 1700's stables, very picturesque surroundings for the paintings apparently. Completely secured against the elements as any modern building I'm reassured.
The one risk is it is a private gallery and (as yet) uninsured, so will scan everything as Matt previously suggested and if worst comes to the worst can sell copies from the scans.

Btw, Matt, do they have to be scanned or is it enough if they are professionally photographed? A mate photographed most of my previous stuff a few years ago, which I have on file. (She's a very good photographer - I'm not!)

Adding the tissue paper certainly wouldn't hurt, and perhaps it's best to be on the safe side. As for sending flat, I'd really try to avoid that if at all possible - If you have to send flat, just make sure that the size of the cardboard is way bigger than your drawing, so if the edges do get bashed/curled over, there's no harm done.

Not sure about drawings, but I know that if you have paintings and you are selling prints, a photographer is normally the way to go. Try a scanner as the light is more uniform across the entire image.

Have one concern though, the gallery has no insurance? That's *unusual* to say the least.. and something I wouldnt be too happy with if it was my paintings up on their walls. Did they say why?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back