The Best Fw-190 Variant...?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

here is the photo in question. Dahl visited IV.Sturm/JG 3 right after the many victories the SturmFw unit of JG 3 at their base on 7-7-44. Dahl is with a couple of staff members and future ace Konrad Bauer of 5.Sturm/JG 300. Willi Moritz, Gruppenkommandeur - of IV.Sturm/JG 3 is also present watching the SturmFw's of JG 3 coming in to land.

Attachments

• cleaver32190asa_165.jpg
    cleaver32190asa_165.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 882
here is a shot of Mr. happy maybe has just got himself a kill, but then maybe a bogus claim ? this is a shot of 1 of his several Fw 190A's that he flew.

Attachments

• dahlviarodekepart2_153.jpg
    dahlviarodekepart2_153.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 879
Very interesting :p

Recently I had made a comparative between some profiles of FW-190A-8 of Ospreys "FW-190 aces of the Western Front", the Simon Schatz art, and others that I picked in the Internet.....and none of it machted, damn :confused:

Charles the pic in question, and please do not trust Osprey but keep an open mind.

IV.Sturm/Jg 3 SturmFw's had the white band with the ~ over it indicating IV. th gruppen. also 11th staffel had the white trim over the exhuast Adlerflügeln. Of note is the Scheuklppen, the protective armored glass on the canopy as II.Sturm/JG 4 removed theirs after theier second aerial encounter and JG 300 never used them...

Attachments

• tankmagblack13_113.jpg
    tankmagblack13_113.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 849
The Tarpain covers the blue-black engine cowling which was another noted itme of IV.Sturm/JG 3. 12th staffel had a yellow stripe around the exhuast eagle. 2./JG 51 which later became 16.Sturm/JG 3 had a red stripe and also a red stripe over black spinner. 12th staffel had a yellow stripe over the spinner-black background. 10th and the 11th sturm were the same although 10th staffel had white numbers and 11th staffel had black

10-12th staffels and then 2./JG 51 from 7-7-44 till August 10, 1944 then it was changed from
10th to the 13th st.
11th to the 14th st.
12th to the 15th st.
2./JG 51 to 16th st.

the colors were removed from theSturmFw's and they then appeared in the boring two toned greys with all spinners of the 4 staffels black with white stripe for ID. The individual a/c numbers stayed the same colours though at : white, black, yellow and red.

the heavy armor seemed to stay as well including the armored glas on the canopies, drop tank as standard. nealy all A-8/R2's and later R8's had the cowling mg 131's removed and the troughs faired over with aerodynamic pieces as the four cannon were enough to take out the ehavy bombers. Standard fare on II.Sturm/JG 4 and II.Sturm/JG 300 Sturms. Sturms of JG 4 wore the black/white/black defence bands through the war from end of August onward...... their first battle was on 11th of September 1944.
JG 300 first wore the rust colored red bands and then at December 44's end the blue/white/blue defence band on all a/c.

a little better now ? :)

only of him in the cockpit and in his dress tunic. Do not know of any photo of just his SturmFw. Sadly he perished on the second mission of II.Sturm/JG 4 on 12 September 44, in Green 2, werke nummer 681424 A-8/R2 in air combat near Zilly by Halberstadt. II.Sturm/JG 4 were to lose 6 SturmFw's this date, 1 of them was on a bad landing approach at Flugplatz Welzow

Erich said:
Adler answering your June 10th posting yes much reading and interviewing veterans plus having the oppourtunity to check on US bomb group histories through the bomb group representatives and of course the overseas research contacts for many years, before NAM and after, comparing notes and finding what actually happened and not depending solely on old books for the information. The result of tedious effort, some of it painful and unfulfilling but at least the last 7-9 years with the net available more and more of those hard efforts can be gleaned in a much easier fashion, none of this wait 6 months for a reply or unanswered phone calls. there is still much being uncovered, and to stick with Charles posting waiting for the volume 1 of JG 300 to be available...sometime in august last I heard. the French version is out and is doing well. Dahl's SturmFw's and A-8's will be in the two volumes.

Erich

Thats great! Thanks for all the info that you have. I am sure that we all take some knowledge from it.

well the forums is a great place for all of us to learn..........none of us have all the information but we work together

E

Erich said:
only of him in the cockpit and in his dress tunic. Do not know of any photo of just his SturmFw. Sadly he perished on the second mission of II.Sturm/JG 4 on 12 September 44, in Green 2, werke nummer 681424 A-8/R2 in air combat near Zilly by Halberstadt.

I ve extracted this profile from the Osprey "aircraft of the aces " series, it teorically shows the paint layout of the A-6 "early Sturmbock" presented to Kornatzki the 1/1/1944 when it take command.

But ( as you say before) probably is not too accurate.

korntazki0eu.jpg

This craft had increased armor but only 4 x 20 mm and not the external MK-108.

Is good to know that at list one of the last Doras is still flyable.

Yellow 10 was built early in 1945 by Arbeitsgruppe (Work Group) Roland. This was actually a group of companies responsible for building different components of the FW-190 from dispersed locations. The final assembly point not being known at this time.

This is the "gelbe 10" owned by Franz Gotz, when it was captured bearing the star designation.

FW190D9_10.jpg

Major Götz had flown Yellow 10 operationally right up to the last days of the war. By May, the remnants of JG 26 had found themselves flying armed reconnaissance missions from Schleswig airfield near the Danish border. By the end of hostilities, Major Götz had surrendered Yellow 10 to the RAF at Flensburg Airfield.

Geschwader Kommodore Major Franz Gotz, a Knight's Cross holder
pilotyellow10.jpg

And the inmaculate estate post- restoration of this german warbird.

yellow20.jpg

yellow13.jpg

Here showing the muzzles of the 3 x 20 mm Mauser and the 16 mm guncamera. The cowling ring armor was 15 mm thick.

yellow09.jpg

For more info check:

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/fw190d13jc_1.htm

I've seen Gelbe 10 and in fact almost hopped into the cockpit as I was so jazzed, only at the last minute did I step off the fuselage and wing emplored by my wife and two young kids at the time, back in the early 90's.

Good friend Jerry Crandall of Eagle-Editions and the Champlin fighter museum staff repainted the bird in the closest combination of colours that they could find. In reality the prop is not as bright green as shown in the pics but overall a black-green with white Spiralschnauze. would love to see this bird again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back