The Fw 190A-9 of Siegfried Baer, 5.Staffel, II./JG301, in Detail....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wayne yes IV. the gruppe had blue numbers and gruppe bar. so you want to do an A-8/R2 of III.(Schwere)/JG 301 ? how about a black numbered bird ?

interesting the R2's in this case were unarmored for the most part except around the canopy and had the extra mg 131's fitted on the cowling and no aerodynamic cowlings fitted.

Wayne yes IV. the gruppe had blue numbers and gruppe bar. so you want to do an A-8/R2 of III.(Schwere)/JG 301 ? how about a black numbered bird ?

interesting the R2's in this case were unarmored for the most part except around the canopy and had the extra mg 131's fitted on the cowling and no aerodynamic cowlings fitted.

Black number?....Mmm.... with yellow Gruppe bar? sounds like a possibility....tell me more....if you have anything thats of a personal/confidential nature you can always email me Eric, anything that needs to be kept off the record can and will remain that way....up to you of course.

Wayne it all depends on the time frame. the III. gruppe may or may not have worn the gruppe bar in November/December of 44. will have to check but think the staffel with the black numerals at least in November had the black bird wing motif over the exhaust area. The unit had both A-8 and A-8/R2's.

you do have all the colours of individual staffeln correct ? again at least with second gruppe the red bar ws not always worn especially on the Doras of the gruppe December 44 till wars end.

you do have all the colours of individual staffeln correct ? again at least with second gruppe the red bar ws not always worn especially on the Doras of the gruppe December 44 till wars end.

Well, I currently go by the colour system in Jerry's Dora Vol. 1 book as a guide! Does this remain constant or has there been something new to add....?

no Jerry's book is ideal for the numerations/colours only except that some we have found are framed in black, and not consistent within the staffel

Need to get back on this project...A small update...meet the pilots Oberleutnant Alfred Vollert, Staffel Kapitan of 5/JG301 and his wingman Unteroffizier Siegfried Baer.

Don't usually paint pilots so some research is in order....

Attachments

• Oblt Vollert  Uffz Baer_0087.jpg
    Oblt Vollert Uffz Baer_0087.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 135
  • Oblt vollert  Uffz Baer_0095.jpg
    Oblt vollert Uffz Baer_0095.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 145
  • Oblt Vollert  Uffz Baer_0096.jpg
    Oblt Vollert Uffz Baer_0096.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 138
Good stuff so far Wayne, and shouldn't be a problem re-painting to depict the leather flight gear. Styles were similar to the grey-blue gaberdine shown, but of course in heavier black leather. If you need photos, let me know.

the leathers we in different colours actually, brown, dark blue and blue-black also with different coloured fur collars. from 4./JG 301

luftpictwo.jpg

Hubert Engst and his woman from II.Sturm/JG 300

File0007.jpg

a pilot from 6./JG 301

rix.gif

IV./JG 4 pilots

hd19.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers Erich thanks for that, the Vollert figure I have actually scrapped back the lifejacket vest to paint a Black leather jacket on over the upper portion of the blue-grey colour.

Will change the Baer flight suit as well...maybe do his overall Black leather then?

Don't want them to be exactly the same...or should i do Vollert as an officer in overall black leather and the "wingman" in the black jacket with blue-grey pants?

Note the dress combination in the last pic - leather jackets with the 'muton' collar, and either uniform trousers or 'Kanal' trousers in Luftwaffe grey blue. Can't see any knee pockets, so more likely uniform trousers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back