History according to random people...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Another student that slept through basic science.
-wood-isolated-logging-production-260nw-1840480420.jpg

one

+

up-photo-flame-burning-matchstick-260nw-2346314565.jpg

one

Does not equal flaming log even if you do compare igniting and flame temperatures. ;)
Let alone pull data out of your butt.

I once was in charge of some Civil Air Patrol cadets on a camp out and one cadet brought her little brother because no one else could look after him. I found him with a lit match against the side of a ten inch thick log trying to start a fire. As an adult with children of my own, I tried to explain why he could not get it hot enough, needed small sticks, etc, with no result. His sister saw the discussion, walked over, smacked him side of the head, and yelled, "Stop it stupid". His response, "I almost got it".

I once was in charge of some Civil Air Patrol cadets on a camp out and one cadet brought her little brother because no one else could look after him. I found him with a lit match against the side of a ten inch thick log trying to start a fire. As an adult with children of my own, I tried to explain why he could not get it hot enough, needed small sticks, etc, with no result. His sister saw the discussion, walked over, smacked him side of the head, and yelled, "Stop it stupid". His response, "I almost got it".
Funny how "life experience" changes things, I cant ever remember being told about that but I grew up watching fires being lit, long before I can remember, I was either told or figured it out. By the time I was eight I could get our front room coke fire going just with newspapers.

I thought this belonged here.

Someone talking about the moon landing

35000 degrees is quite a claim I would say.

My first thought is they're thinking of the re-entry temperatures, in which case someone would have to explain to them how ablative shielding works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back