Super detailing Guillow's P-51D Mustang

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A copy of the outline of the gun bay was cut out for several reasons: it will help me with the outside frame work of the bay itself, I can simply flip it over to make a duplicate outline on the other wing with the gun bay closed, I can also use it as a template to help me fabricate the major components such as the door and hatches. I hope you don't mind me taking you through all of the planning stages. I'm hoping that should anyone decide to super detail their own model, be it plastic or wood, that they only need to use their imagination and let it go wild, but at the same time, think far enough ahead that you won't be caught with "I wish I had thought of that when I had the chance." I did a lot of planning in my mind for days and even sometimes for weeks, turning an idea over and over in my mind until I was convinced that it would work.

Attachments

• machine gun outlines # 3.JPG
    machine gun outlines # 3.JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 150
I apologize in advance for repeatedly showing the previous photos of the real machine gun bay, but I also included a copy of a plastic model to use as my guide as well. Having been satisfied that all is well, I started cutting plastic for the "floor" to the bay. This "floor" will also serve as a foundation for me to build up the bay from here. I used Evergreen plastistrut sheet that had light corrugation patterns.

Attachments

• P-51 # 86.jpg
    P-51 # 86.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 204
  • P-51 # 88.jpg
    P-51 # 88.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 216
  • P-51 # 141 gun bay detail.JPG
    P-51 # 141 gun bay detail.JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 208
  • P-51 # 140 gun bay detail.JPG
    P-51 # 140 gun bay detail.JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 184
The next two pictures show I used a small punch & die set to duplicate small holes needed for the machine guns

I wanted to give the wall some thickness and depth just like the fulll sized Mustang. I used thick balsa wood wrapped with plastic or glossy paper to use as inner walls of the bay itself. This way, I could save myself the hassle of sanding and filling the wood grains. Slowly and with each step, I built the machine gun bay by constantly referring to the photos of the real Mustang. These photos were provided to me through the generosity of Mr. Wurger. I thank you for your help.

Slowly, I started building up the walls according to their thickness and shape to replicate the machine gun bay.

Attachments

• P-51 144-2.jpg
    P-51 144-2.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 160
  • P-51 # 137 gun bay detail.JPG
    P-51 # 137 gun bay detail.JPG
    227.9 KB · Views: 172
  • P-51 # 138 gun bay detail.JPG
    P-51 # 138 gun bay detail.JPG
    203 KB · Views: 159
  • P-51 # 135 gun bay detail.JPG
    P-51 # 135 gun bay detail.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 191
I determined which balsa rib on the wing, will act as one of the side walls to the bay and from there, I simply placed the rib over a good sized plastic and cut around the rib. Next, I laminated a piece of plastic to the side that will face the inside of the bay. This way, I was able to set the boundaries of the machine gun bay and the walls.

My fingers were too big and thick to place more walls (see the first picture of my fingers holding onto the rib), so I used a pair of tweezers to add more inner walls with thin plastic as the next photo shows.,

As the last picture shows, this wall is too high. It will stick through the covering. As you can see, there is a line drawn with a pen showing me where to make the cut on the plastic to keep the wall within height. As you can see I had to make the cut a taper from the root (which is to the left of this picture) out to the tip which is to the right of this picture. I had to lower my head to the same height as the wing and "eyeball" the correct height.

Attachments

• P-51 # 134 gun bay detail.JPG
    P-51 # 134 gun bay detail.JPG
    230.4 KB · Views: 139
  • P-51 # 142 gun bay detail.JPG
    P-51 # 142 gun bay detail.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 148
  • P-51 # 133 gun bay detail.JPG
    P-51 # 133 gun bay detail.JPG
    237.6 KB · Views: 141
  • P-51 # 132 gun bay detail.JPG
    P-51 # 132 gun bay detail.JPG
    175.6 KB · Views: 148
More ribs being matched up with their proper place on the wing; and more plastic being cut to match the exact outline of the rib. Notice that I'm using an X-Acto blade and not a pen or pencil. The blade cutd thre plastic right at the edge of the rib, whereas the pen or pencil will leave a small gap.

This rib/plastic is being placed on the left side.

Attachments

• P-51 # 156 gun bay detail.JPG
    P-51 # 156 gun bay detail.JPG
    255.1 KB · Views: 151
  • P-51 # 155 gun bay detail.JPG
    P-51 # 155 gun bay detail.JPG
    232.3 KB · Views: 154
The bay was partially disassembled and sprayed with zinc chromate green paint. Or, at least a lime greant that will pass for zinc chromate. The all the plieces were glued in place. My reasons for doing this, is because I do not have a professional spray gun where I can control the amount of spray. Rattle can spray paints come out very fast and cover a wide area. I didn't want to have excess paint dripping down the sides and only partial paint coverage on the other sides. This way, everthing was assured of proper and even coverage of paint.

Attachments

• P-51 154-2.jpg
    P-51 154-2.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 132
Nrext, everything was replaced and this time, glued. On the second photo, notice how I left a small amount of extra plastic to stick out to mesh with the different locations of the wood spars.

The third photo shows this rib piece was slightly off centered.

A quick cut with the blade fixed that. Everything was cut, fit, cut more fit again.

Attachments

• P-51 # 153 gun bay detail.JPG
    P-51 # 153 gun bay detail.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 321
  • P-51 # 152 gun bay detail.JPG
    P-51 # 152 gun bay detail.JPG
    186.1 KB · Views: 143
  • P-51 # 151 gun bay detail.JPG
    P-51 # 151 gun bay detail.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 147
  • P-51 # 150 gun bay detail.JPG
    P-51 # 150 gun bay detail.JPG
    264.8 KB · Views: 153
Ahh, much better. Now I can follow the photos and add some extra details

Notice on the second picture a small gap on top of the rib that I just installed on the left side of the bay.

A short piece of pre-curved plastic fixed that.

Attachments

• P-51 # 145 gun bay detail .JPG
    P-51 # 145 gun bay detail .JPG
    218.1 KB · Views: 139
  • P-51 # 146 gun bay detail.JPG
    P-51 # 146 gun bay detail.JPG
    203.8 KB · Views: 137
  • P-51 # 148 gun bay detail .JPG
    P-51 # 148 gun bay detail .JPG
    202 KB · Views: 139
Looking at the photo of the real machine gun bay reveals the the bullet compartment was divided by a thin wall.

One thin wall was added

Thin strips of plastic was cut from a corrugated sheet

Then added to the rib on the left side for added detail

Attachments

• P-51 # 86.jpg
    P-51 # 86.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 142
  • P-51 # 149 gun bay detail.JPG
    P-51 # 149 gun bay detail.JPG
    224.9 KB · Views: 146
  • P-51 # 157 gun bay detail.JPG
    P-51 # 157 gun bay detail.JPG
    248.8 KB · Views: 134
  • P-51 # 158 gun bay detail.JPG
    P-51 # 158 gun bay detail.JPG
    324.2 KB · Views: 141
Right machine gun bay completed and ready for bullets and machine guns...... They will come later.

My next immediate challenge was to have a fully detailed landing gear wheel well. But if I used the regular ribs, that will fill in the gap needed for the wheel wells. I knew I would need to have something rigid and strong enough to take the coverage and still provide detailing and space. That's coming up.

Attachments

• P-51 # 164 gun bay.JPG
    P-51 # 164 gun bay.JPG
    214.8 KB · Views: 145
  • P-51 wheel well & wing outlines # 28.JPG
    P-51 wheel well & wing outlines # 28.JPG
    227.8 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
at6 and Crimea, I sincerely thank you both for your approval.

That reference posted in #38 was discussed in the Britmodeler link I sent you a while back. I think there was a different interpretation presented but I don't recall exactly what it was.

Crimea,

I sincerely thank you for that Britmodeler reference. Anything would be of help. Now only need a reference of the paneling and rivet patterns of the wings and flaps and ailerons. I know the wings are prettymuch "clean" of rivet detail, but the flaps and ailersons have plenty of rivet patterns. Again, thank you

I'm pretty sure that there is a reference to the flap rivet details in that link. If you have misplace the link Google Missouri Armada Britmodeler and you should see it.

Thank you Crimea and T-Bolt, and fellow members,

I'm still working on the model and still taking photos of each step. I'll definitely try referencing to the model build thread and see if there's anything on the flaps and aileron patterns and rivet details. As you can probably surmise, I'm working on those items, and doing a little bit of everything, fuselage, wings and etc. I'm trying to finalize my detailing of the structures such that when I start covering, it will all fall into plac.e As the popular saying goes: "The finish is only as good as the preparation." As much as I'm trying to avoid sanding, it's still catching up with me and I'm sanding and more sanding......

Stay tuned....

Crimea,

I just tried several times to Google Missouri Armada Britmodeler and I keep getting threads on the real aircraft, but not the model. Can you hlep?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back