Super detailing Guillow's P-51D Mustang

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea River:

Thank you very much. I recall your reference to my build on another post & I want to acknowledge your comments. They were greatly appreciated.

That is a spectacular build, as brought out by the video. You have truly taken a sows ear and made a silk purse. ( yes I know Guillow is a fine model, of its type) But even having read your progress reports I am still in aww of what you have made. Congratulations.:hello1::love4::notworthy:
I'm grateful for your kind words Duster. I have always tried to go just a bit "outside the box" on all my Guillow's builds just to keep things above the dull & mundane. However on the Mustang, well I went "… just a tad overboard .." because I was building it for my daughter to be displayed in her home. What's a loving father to do?

People oftentimes underestimate Guillows kits as just tissue- covered rubber band powered models. Through several years of building their kits (I also build others….:0)..), I've discovered with the exception of a few details here & there, that for the most part Guillow's overall outlines are fairly accurate to the full scale aircraft.

For your entertainment I've also enclosed a few pictures of another Guillow's model. This is an S.E.5. Whereas it's outside the scope of this marvelous group of dedicated warbird enthusiast, I thought you would enjoy seeing it as another fine example of how just building outside the box can result in a wonderful display model.

Thanking you again for viewing my post/s. It's always a pleasure to hear feedback.

Cheers, Gary

Attachments

• 97167C2E-CC93-4D2F-BA55-7762413CC4F7.jpeg
    97167C2E-CC93-4D2F-BA55-7762413CC4F7.jpeg
    338.5 KB · Views: 31
  • EAE4F880-9066-440B-A65A-A328FC809C55.jpeg
    EAE4F880-9066-440B-A65A-A328FC809C55.jpeg
    434.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 4D72FDB1-001D-470F-A968-F6D7AB142014.jpeg
    4D72FDB1-001D-470F-A968-F6D7AB142014.jpeg
    700.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 5BFDBB3F-795A-4E5B-A6E9-8AB27491D853.jpeg
    5BFDBB3F-795A-4E5B-A6E9-8AB27491D853.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 28
I'm grateful for your kind words Duster. I have always tried to go just a bit "outside the box" on all my Guillow's builds just to keep things above the dull & mundane. However on the Mustang, well I went "… just a tad overboard .." because I was building it for my daughter to be displayed in her home. What's a loving father to do?

People oftentimes underestimate Guillows kits as just tissue- covered rubber band powered models. Through several years of building their kits (I also build others….:0)..), I've discovered with the exception of a few details here & there, that for the most part Guillow's overall outlines are fairly accurate to the full scale aircraft.

For your entertainment I've also enclosed a few pictures of another Guillow's model. This is an S.E.5. Whereas it's outside the scope of this marvelous group of dedicated warbird enthusiast, I thought you would enjoy seeing it as another fine example of how just building outside the box can result in a wonderful display model.

Thanking you again for viewing my post/s. It's always a pleasure to hear feedback.

Cheers, Gary
There is NO ..."just a tad overboard" when building for family. It must be your daughter has realized the high value of your modeling expertise and wanted to be the first on her block to have a real life Guillow's P-51D Mustang by the (I'm sure soon to be) world renowned skydiamond lol.gif
Regardless good job all around and on the S.E. 5- high quality stuff there too.clap.gif

Duster;

Wow! I'm honored by your assessment of my builds. Thank you!

A little background: a luck would have it: although my daughter is a successful surgical nurse practitioner, she's also a Mustang groupie.

It all started about 33+ years ago when we attended an airshow. As father, I've always made it an effort for both my son & daughter to skip a couple of days from school. I provided them each with a note to their teachers that they were suffering from a rare family disease called "National Championship Air Race-itis."

It was during an attendance of one of these events that I was able to introduce her to this strange man & wearing a straw hat. I asked this kindly gentleman if he would be kind enough to pose with my daughter while I take a picture.

My daughter had no idea who this strange man was but complied with her father's wishes & posed alongside with him.

Years later as she matured into a loving successful woman with a family of her own & realized that this strange gentleman was none other than the world famous Bob Hoover who just finished his incredible flight routine in his all yellow P-51D Mustang, she became an instant groupie right then & there.

I've attached a photo capturing that memorable moment.

Hope you will enjoy!

Thanking you again.

Cheers,

Attachments

• 2E4760C9-D11F-4591-B55C-9EE3145F7711.jpeg
    2E4760C9-D11F-4591-B55C-9EE3145F7711.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 23
No new one. I was only including a small note without realizing your response. I have since edited my original reply.

Thank you, sir.

Cheers,

Duster;

Wow! I'm honored by your assessment of my builds. Thank you! ...

...I've attached a photo capturing that memorable moment.

Hope you will enjoy!

Thanking you again.

Cheers,
Well very good for you and her. Glad to know her interest comes from such a unimpeachable source :D

Now, if I may, there has been much lauding and pat on the back-ing going on here. Which begs the question, What about the next installment of THE model? hummm?

Sometimes being that old codger in the room is an arduous task :rolleyes:
:lol:

Good evening Duster from Reno, Nevada.

My daughter is in the process of arranging her room to accommodate the model in a secure & save place. I've been told it'll be enclosed in a display case thst cannot be knocked over.

She has a zoo in her house. She just cannot turn away a stray cat or undernourished dog. Last count, she has monkeys, half dozen cats & four large stray ( but very happy dogs ), parakeets, a Komodo dragon ( I didn't ask), & two house-broken teenagers.& one husband.

In the meantime, I'm Keeping it on a table in the back of my "Man Cave." I've enclosed a close photo. For you to see.

I'm currently working on a quick Guillow's biplane called Nieuport -11to help me unwind from all the drama of building the Mustang.

Cheers,

Attachments

• IMG_8582.MOV
    53.9 MB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back