Super Detailing S.E.5 Guillow's model

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Skyediamonds

Staff Sergeant
May 26, 2018
Good morning gentlemen.
Just finished posting a series of build threads on Super Detailing the Wright Bros' Flyer and have been encouraged to also do one on the S.E.5 model that was completed two years ago. This model is from a Guillow's kit and represents many of the extra steps taken to achieve a realistic portrayal of the full sized aircraft. As with the previous build threads on the Flyer, all comments are welcomed by everyone on this build thread. The Guillow's kit is advertised as being 1/12th scale with a 27" wingspan, made of balsa wood with some plastic accessories such as wheels along with some wires for the axles. The actual model comes closer to 1/14th scale.

Disclaimer note: it wasn't until after the model was completed, that I discovered the wonders of Vape metal strips. Until that discovery, I used Evergreen Plasticstrut in form of thin plastic half-round strips of .060" thickness & up to 24" long for rigging the model. I was also later to discover that Evergreen produces the same half-round strips in .040" in thickness which would have been more realistic to the rigging in scale of my S.E.5 model.

Many people in general, and many modelers in particular, forget that several biplanes in the First World War and thereafter employed the use of steel flat wire that were somewhat airfoil shaped in cross section for static rigging as opposed to using stranded wire. This was for the purpose of adding strength and rigidity to the rigging that otherwise would be whipping in the slipstream. I've read that its origin was from the Royal Aircraft Factory. Hence, the oft-used term to describe this particular static rigging as: "RAFer" wires. However, stranded wires are still used on flying controls due to its flexibility and strength in both biplanes and modern General Aviation aircraft.

As usually the case in building models, it's only after the completion of the model, that a great accessory or product shows up later. So it was, with the Vape strip. I'm not a smoker & I do not advocate smoking in any shape or form, but as a modeler, I tend to use whatever is available to help achieve a desired effect in detail. This Vape strip is, in a word, fantastic! It's the cat's "meow" for rigging smaller scale models from plastic 1/32nd scale to some of the larger wooden (but still smaller scale) models of 1/5th scale. It's available through many different outlets and specialty Vape shops here in the U.S. & I'm sure elsewhere in different parts of the world. However, it's also available in 2 different sizes; .04mm and .08mm in thickness, through mail-order such as Amazon. I've written to an editor of a scale plastic model magazine and he is receptive to passing on "the word" in his publication.

The best deal? It comes in 100-foot rolls. Enough static rigging for hundreds of models to last a lifetime all for just (in today's prices) around $7.00-$8.00 in US.currency. I'm enclosing a few photos of the Vape metal strips for you to view for yourselves. I hope this will help everyone in the modeling world. The last picture shows both sizes. I'm holding the .4mm size and the .8mm size is in the background.

Skye

Attachments

• Flat rigging 2.jpg
    Flat rigging 2.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 209
  • Vape strip .8mm # 5.JPG
    Vape strip .8mm # 5.JPG
    230.4 KB · Views: 220
  • Vape strip .8mm # 2.jpg
    Vape strip .8mm # 2.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Good day to everyone. I thought it best to start off the S.E.5 build thread by posting the completed model to give you a view of my final goal in achieving what i think is a realistic representation of the full sized biplane. As noted previously, this is a Guillow's kit made primarily of balsa wood and some plastic accessories. In its original form, it is of "Stick & Tissue" type construction with tissue provided in the kit to be used as covering the finished frame. I also happen to use one of the photos as my avatar.

Attachments

• IMG_7359.JPG
    IMG_7359.JPG
    286.1 KB · Views: 400
  • SE5 9.jpg
    SE5 9.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 640
  • SE5 8.jpg
    SE5 8.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 393
  • SE5 11.jpg
    SE5 11.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 409
Thank you, sir! It's greatly appreciated. By the way, I searched all over this site, it's truly amazing source of really deep information not found anywhere else. Very impressive.

Crimea,
Thank you for your compliment. One of the more prominent details of the S.E.5, is the stitching along the fuselage. As I mentioned to Wurger, I used real thread to simulate the stranded cable & actually stitched up the fuselage, but in such a way that the needle never used.

This is really impressive! Can't wait to see how it was done.

Gentlemen,

I sincerely thank you for all your compliments and certainly hope that my posts won't disappoint you. I would like to start off by saying I live in a small apartment and was only able to use simple household tools such as: scissors, small hammer, needle nose pliers, small screw drivers, threads and needles (for the stitching), and of course that ubiquitous X-Acto razor and lots of imagination. I'd like to start off the S.E.5 like I did with the Wright's Flyer with providing what I used from my research and my own collection of photos that I took while visiting the RAF in London many years ago. This research included matching the model plans with scale drawings as well. I purposely posted some drawings out of honor for Wurger. They were sent to me from a very close friend Mieczyslaw. I hope you'll enjoy. Obviously I have many more photos and drawings, but I just wanted to show a quick purview of the materials I used as reference. From here, we'll get "on with the show."

Attachments

• SE5E 203.JPG
    SE5E 203.JPG
    315.3 KB · Views: 265
  • SE5E 216.jpg
    SE5E 216.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 259
  • SE5E 215.jpg
    SE5E 215.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 250
  • S.E.5 # 1.JPG
    S.E.5 # 1.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 311
  • S.E.5 # 2.JPG
    S.E.5 # 2.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 254
  • S.E.5 # 3.JPG
    S.E.5 # 3.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 257
  • S.E.5 # 5.JPG
    S.E.5 # 5.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 284
I'd like to start by showing how I tried to make the model as accurate as possible. As you can see, I've altered the model plans to reflect the staggered ribs to the ailerons. Looking closely, you can see that the riblets from the ailerons do not match up with the ribs of the wings.

Attachments

• SE5E 215.jpg
    SE5E 215.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 198
  • SE5E 216.jpg
    SE5E 216.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 202
  • SE5E 217.jpg
    SE5E 217.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 200
I would also like to call to your attention that Guillow's kits advertise the S.E.5 as being 1/12th scale. I compared the model fuselage with the 1/12th scale drawings and you can easily see the difference. I think the model is more closer to 1/14th scale. So I had to compensate in several areas. I decided in fabricating the small details such as inside the cockpit interior and many items on the exterior by using "proportions" instead of measurements. In another words, my ol' fashion eyeballs. What looks good in relation to its size or shape is good enough for me.

Attachments

• S.E. 5 reduced # 95.jpg
    S.E. 5 reduced # 95.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 236
  • S.E. 5 reduced # 96.jpg
    S.E. 5 reduced # 96.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 266
For those who do not build wooden models or have limited experience, these are the plans that are of the S.E.5. As you can see, they use "formers" or bulkheads to shape the fuselage and then glue several small strips of balsa wood called "stringer" to the formers. Then the whole finished airframe is covered with tissue. The model has a "skeletal" appearance with the frames showing through the tissue. This is something that I decided not to allow. I decided to radically alter the whole construction of the fuselage to make it appear exactly like the full sized article.

Attachments

• S.E.5 plans # 3.JPG
    S.E.5 plans # 3.JPG
    319 KB · Views: 203
  • S.E.5 plans # 1.JPG
    S.E.5 plans # 1.JPG
    403.7 KB · Views: 181
  • S.E.5 plans # 2.JPG
    S.E.5 plans # 2.JPG
    282.3 KB · Views: 247
Awesome! Was wondering if you were going to alter the skeletal structure to match blueprints versus the base kit construction. Beautifully illustrated and explained sir.

Luft 43 and Wurger,

Thank you for your compliments and keen observations. If you wish to add commentary or have questionsm=, please feel free to write. I'll be happy to write back and explain a little bit more in detail. I would also like to add for the benefit of everyone, that I will occasionally post the same photo again further down the build sequence to help clarify my intentions and comparing the full sized plane with that particular reference to any details I'm attempting to replicate.

For example, I went "nuts" and actually custom made my own instrument dials and faces to represent the exact instrument dials and faces of the full sized plane. Why? It is of my opinion that the S.E.5 had a unique cockpit arrangement and series of instruments that no other plane possesses (at least to my knowledge). Besides, I think the challenge was fun. I will also show you step-by-step along with each photograph on how I made several dials that were custom made and hopefully, you can easily see that it's not impossible so much as a test one's patience. Oddly enough, I knew that once they were installed on the panel, the panel would be buried deep inside the cockpit where they would barely be seen. Just "one of those" crazy things we modelers do from time to time.

Good morning gentlemen from Reno, Nevada. Home to the National Championship Air Races coming within the next couple of weeks. I'll be out there watching many of the highly modified warbirds and other planes race around the pylons. They were also have a special display of restored aircraft. I'll be sure to keep you updated.

In the meantime, I went through all of my pictures and had to refile them back into my laptop. Hoo boy! I've got literally hundreds of detailed photos of the S.E.5 build and I'm sure you'll enjoy them. So, it'll be just a few days for me to properly get them categorized and ready for posting.

Gentlemen,
I'm almost done transferring my photos into one folder file. They came from several other folders and my iPhone. It was a mess. I'm now over 250 pictures of the build. I believe I have enough to at least start the postings. The remainder of the pictures are after the basic framework is completed and I'm doing some of the modifications to the frame. With that in mind, I'll start off by sharing with you first, my humble workshop with is just a small table about 1 meter square in a corner of my apartment, some basic tools will be seen, and my scrap pieces of proof-of-concept of the wing, and fuselage where I've practiced my detailing and seeing the results before committing to the task on the model itself. I will also post some extra 'research" photos from time to time. Most are from my own collection. With that in mind, I'll start now with the small work table to illustrate no fancy machinery or large establishment is necessary. Only lots of imagination. From there, we'll go into the model itself.

Attachments

• SE5 59.JPG
    SE5 59.JPG
    310.3 KB · Views: 240
  • SE5 60.JPG
    SE5 60.JPG
    364.7 KB · Views: 265
  • SE5 61.JPG
    SE5 61.JPG
    241.6 KB · Views: 232
  • SE5 140.JPG
    SE5 140.JPG