The Ta-152.... The Best High Altitude Fighter?????

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello

davparlr said:
Did the Ta-152 ever fly a high altitude mission? If not I would select another aircraft like the P-47 since I tend to rate actual combat performace much higher than theoretical combat performance.

Well, I've read that on March 13, in late afternoon Willi Reschke had a chance to shoot down Mosquito. British aircraft was returning to base at over 9 km. The Ta 152 were flying lower than Mosquito, so Willy Reschke increased engine's rpm and started climbing. After one minute he reported over the radio that he was beginning an attack. When Reschke was trying to catch Mosquito's silhouette in his gunsight, the Ta 152 shook and slowed down suddenly. It appeared that the 3rd gear of supercharger (or the second stage of compression, I don't remember exactly) stopped working. The Mosquite flew away quite easily and German pilot decreased engine's rpm and returned to base.

Regards

No one has mentioned the Spitfire, which after all holds the record for shooting down an enemy aircraft at extream altitude.

No one has mentioned the Spitfire, which after all holds the record for shooting down an enemy aircraft at extream altitude.

Good point. Nothing like getting in the record books for the highest kill for making yourself a viable candidate.

Very good point.

Hi guys,

even though I know this thread is a discussion about Ta152, I have to show you another photo of Willi Reschke´s on 29/8/44 crash landed Bf109G from another point of view. Note the engine cover- all the sources, even Willi Reschke in his book speak about G-6 version, but there are no ''Beulen'' on the engine... so it seems to be G-14AS version:shock:

Attachments

• weisse6,Banov,29844.jpg
    weisse6,Banov,29844.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 154
Great picture Seesul, thanks ! :thumbright:

PS: The 109 on the picture is a G-6/AS.

...and BTW, this picture comes from that girl that is on the left side and still living. I was told she has more pictures yet but doesn´t know where as she was afraid of communists till ´89 and was hidding them everywhere because of svastika. Hope she will find more of them yet...

Hi Seesul,

Yes I'm confident thats a G-6/AS, everything indicates it to be so, nothing indicates otherwise. This also explains why Reschke speaks of a G-6.

Note the engine cover- all the sources, even Willi Reschke in his book speak about G-6 version, but there are no ''Beulen'' on the engine... so it seems to be G-14AS version:shock:

I might just missunderstanding you but by "Beulen" do you mean the bulges that are the Bf 109G varients.

Because if you are, there are bulges present on this Bf 109G in the picture. I have circled them in red.

Attachments

• red circle.JPG
    red circle.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 106
Gentlemen :

JG 302 the I. gruppe which Willi was flying in had the Bf 109G-6 as standard equipment from March 44 till end of August 44 before disbandment, the unit never had G-6/AS

Roman thank you for the enlarged photo that came the other day of Willi's 109, been busy on my JG 301 book 8)

E ` back to it ............ some exciting stuff ahead folk !

Gentlemen :

JG 302 the I. gruppe which Willi was flying in had the Bf 109G-6 as standard equipment from March 44 till end of August 44 before disbandment, the unit never had G-6/AS

Roman thank you for the enlarged photo that came the other day of Willi's 109, been busy on my JG 301 book 8)

E ` back to it ............ some exciting stuff ahead folk !

Erich,

thanks for you message. So it must have been really G-6, because:
-your database says I./JG302 was equiped by G-6
-Willi says in this book the same
-Adler has recognized these identifying bulges (Beulen)

I´m sorry for this mess :banghead: :banghead: but the bulges are really very hard to recognize:cry: :oops:

Roman

P.S. take a look at the discussion at LBB « Luftwaffe Bullet Board » Forum zur deutschen Luftfahrtgeschichte

Roman yes I just followed all the posts on Luftarchiv. There were no G-14 or G-14/AS or G-6/AS as I said in JG 302, the Geschwader was not flying much in the summer of 44 and disbanded with many Kameraden going into other single engine fighter units including JG 301, especially the new Fw 190A-8 equipped III./JG 301 Schwere Gruppe

good posting ..........

E `

I don´t know guys, I should maybe create a new thread about this matter...:|
Take a look at this:

OK, weitere Spekulation....

Die Gruppe bekam im August ´44 auch Flugzeuge aus der Instandsetzung zurück,
daher währe es denkbar, dass da eine "normale G6" bereits auf "AS" umgebaut wurde.
Und dann sollte die Werknummer als "G6" weiter geführt worden sein, und taucht dann auch weiterhin als solche in den Bestandslisten auf.

Genaues könnten aber nur die Lebenslaufakten hergeben, und die sind ja bekanntlich nicht verfügbar.

Gruss
Hilmar

For those that don´t know speak German: the group get back in August 44 some overhauled A/C´s und they could be modified to AS version. But even after that modification the same Wrk.Nr can be still enlisted as normal G-6 version.... source: LBB « Luftwaffe Bullet Board » Forum zur deutschen Luftfahrtgeschichte

Nice weekend flyboys!

Roman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back