Super Detailing S.E.5 Guillow's model

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have sent a short email to Mr. Wurger for a small favor so I can post future build threads. It will be of the Mustang.

The curved rail is now being "decorated" with holes being cut out using a pin vise. These are "lightening holes" just as on the full scale aircraft.

The next photo shows a couple of small plastic pieces being cut to be used as a guide to slide on the rail. It is because of the stress that will be imposed upon the curved rail along with the correct thickness, that I decided to use the thick plastic credit card.

The next picture shows that I have just "sladdered" a filler compound between the two haves of the small guide pieces glued to the curved rail.

The last picture shows the compound sanded smooth and the two separate pieces of plastic now appear as if the guide is one piece.

Attachments

• SE5 371.JPG
    SE5 371.JPG
    285.9 KB · Views: 41
  • SE5 373.JPG
    SE5 373.JPG
    297.6 KB · Views: 39
  • SE5 372.JPG
    SE5 372.JPG
    191.4 KB · Views: 38
  • SE5 374.JPG
    SE5 374.JPG
    330.1 KB · Views: 36
  • SE5 375.JPG
    SE5 375.JPG
    297.1 KB · Views: 36
Crimea,

Glad you said that. I'm actually enjoying watching all this myself too. Funny thing is I built it, took pictures of it, and now wrote about it!!

This was the tricky part. I had to fabricate a metal band out of brass and bend it to curve around the barrel of the gun and at the same time, bend some small tabs to join to the guide rail pieces and fit them altogether. It was a challenge that wasn't too bad. Just a bit back and forth fiddling around.

The whole weight of the machine gun will be resting on a very small area. Thus, the use of real metal for the brass band and the use (again) of thick plastic from the credit cards.

Attachments

• SE5 377.JPG
    SE5 377.JPG
    250.7 KB · Views: 36
Many of us write and post pics as we build the project. The upside is that comments might catch things that can be corrected. Also, close-up pics reveal many warts not seen with the naked eye.

Having established the trial fitting and everything is good to "go," I was able to start the painting part. I decided just on a whim to maximize as much "bling" as possible to get the most "bang" out of the "eye candy" and opted for as much contrast between the various small components as possible. You can note here in the first picture I posed a small strip of plastic alongside the rail that I used to glue onto the top and bottom edges to help further give the rail a more well, "railroad look."

The last picture shows the two separate assemblies are not ready for joining on the top wing. Here, it can easily be seen all of the other "decorations" have come together as well. Lots of contrast and lots of "bling."

Attachments

• SE5 376.JPG
    SE5 376.JPG
    289.2 KB · Views: 33
  • SE5 378.JPG
    SE5 378.JPG
    352.8 KB · Views: 40
Now comes the enjoyment. I get to put together all of the components that made up the machine gun and the rails.

The third picture shows how I had to align the machine gun rails between the Aldis gun sight guides. A little bit tricky here.

The last photo shows to good effect the small pivot point that the whole weight of the gun must rest. Very small area and potentially fragile. Still, made for a very nice "eye candy" and full of lots of contrasts to give lots of "bling" to the machine gun sitting (now) very proudly on top of the whole model.

Attachments

• SE5 379.JPG
    SE5 379.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 47
  • SE5 380.JPG
    SE5 380.JPG
    304.4 KB · Views: 43
  • SE5 381.JPG
    SE5 381.JPG
    295.6 KB · Views: 46
  • SE5 382.JPG
    SE5 382.JPG
    276.5 KB · Views: 44
  • SE5 383.JPG
    SE5 383.JPG
    300.3 KB · Views: 47
More to come. Have some good build threads of the wings & the inspection triangles. Glad to hear you have enjoyed the Lewis m/g & all previous postings.

Thank you gentlemen. It's truly an honor to have your compliments. This site has extremely well-known obvsersors and is blessed with people with extensive knowledge and details of many aircraft.
Skye

I sincerely thank each and every one of your gentlemen and it's extremely appreciated. I will delve into the wings a bit later. I believe you will also enjoy them as well. They will not be as detailed, but "entertaining" nonetheless.

Thank you again, Skye

Users who are viewing this thread

Back